Annual Oviedo Historical Society-Robert James Lawton Scholarship
$500 Each to Oviedo and Hagerty High School Seniors
The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens dedicated to the vision of an Oviedo Historical Museum and desire to promote the preservation of the history of the Oviedo community.
Robert James Lawton was born in 1929, one of the sons of Oviedo’s original Lawton Family—prominent in our city’s history. Dr. Lawton attended Oviedo High School, graduating in 1946 as Valedictorian. He went on to graduate from Florida Southern College in 1950, receive his masters from University of Delaware in 1956, and receive his Ph.D. from University of Virginia in 1968. His career was dedicated to education, holding various positions in academia. Dr. Lawton, who resided in Waynesboro, VA, made a bequest to the Oviedo Historical Society for the establishment of a permanent endowment fund upon on death.
To further The Society’s vision, it began a scholarship in Dr. Lawton’s name to promote interest in local and state history.